Jesus "friended" me

On a friend's facebook status, she wrote something about being Friended by Jesus (based on John 15), which spawned this snarky comment from me:

Being "friended" means I can now see Jesus' profile and am now vulnerable to him seeing mine.
And this snarky twitter update from me.
Jesus: "No longer do I call you servants...but I have called you friend." Great, Jesus friended me...now he can see my profile.
Oh ho...so clever, young pastor...but oddly enough, check out my inbox not 3 minutes later!!


I'm not sure of the theological statement of "Jesus is following ME" but it was a humorous occurrence not three minutes after yucking it up about "friending" Jesus.

Oh, the internets.  You amuse me.


[[UPDATE 1: Uh oh, look out. It's spreading. A message from a twitterer:
Jesus saw your profile and in spite of it friended you...just like he did me....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess if I can come up with pithy theological statements like this in a trendy medium, I really am cut out for youth ministry.]]

2 comments:

Anonymous,  May 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

I never thought of this before. A relationship with Jesus is like a relationship in the virtual world. But at least facebook friends can chat online. This kind of shakes my faith.

Rev. Jeremy Smith May 18, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Friend, I would say that a relationship with Jesus is NOTHING like a virtual relationship. While virtual relationships can chat online, JC isn't an online friend that never writes on your facebook wall.

There's a depth of experience that makes real-life friends better than virtual friends, isn't there? Would you agree?

Feel free to contact me via email (see the about page above) if you want to talk more.

Post Your Comment (click here for a pop-up comment form)

Questions? Read the "Four Responsibilities of Commenting"
Jazz hands! ~Jeremy

Comment via FriendConnect

Favorite Sites

Latest from the Methoblog

Search the Methodist World

Want to see more United Methodist responses to a topic? Enter the topic into this search engine and search ONLY methodist blogs and sites!

UMJeremy's shared items

Disclaimer: all original content reflects the personal opinions of Rev. Jeremy Smith, not the doctrinal positions or statements of the United Methodist Church local and global.
all linked or quoted content represent the source's opinions, not Jeremy or the United Methodist Church.

  Blogger Template © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP