Humanity: Ambitious or Viral?

You tell me:

From Agent Smith in the 1999 movie The Matrix:

I’d like to share a revelation that I’ve had, during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you aren’t actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with its surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply, and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? –A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we... are the cure."
From Christian Brady's blog Targuman today:
We are the only creatures that God created who are restless, we are the only creatures who have ambition. …It is part of our having been made in the image of God that we have ambition, drive to become something more.
You tell me: is our restlessness, our lack of desire/ability to obtain a level of parity with our environment...is it a viral orientation that destroys us or a blessing that keeps us from sanguine extinction?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Dave Wyble November 16, 2009 at 6:22 AM  

Apparently like me, you spent too much of the weekend watching AMC. I think I caught the entire trilogy at one point or another.

Agent Smith also revealed this gem:
"Hope. It is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness."

paige November 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

I would say that is it more viral. It is a common them in Biblical text that the land is God's land.

Lev: 23:25 'The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens and my tenants.

It is a common theme especially in the first five books of the Bible that that land is God's and if Israel (or us) don't treat it as such, then God takes it away.

So I think it is more viral because we are claiming the land as our own and do with it as we please. We are not being good tenants God's land. In my opinion.

Post Your Comment (click here for a pop-up comment form)

Questions? Read the "Four Responsibilities of Commenting"
Jazz hands! ~Jeremy

Comment via FriendConnect

Favorite Sites

Latest from the Methoblog

Search the Methodist World

Want to see more United Methodist responses to a topic? Enter the topic into this search engine and search ONLY methodist blogs and sites!

UMJeremy's shared items

Disclaimer: all original content reflects the personal opinions of Rev. Jeremy Smith, not the doctrinal positions or statements of the United Methodist Church local and global.
all linked or quoted content represent the source's opinions, not Jeremy or the United Methodist Church.

  Blogger Template © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP