Followup: The long winding road of Ordination



You know there's never such a thing as a clear answer in church work, right?  Case in point: as a followup to yesterday's prayer request for my ordination interview, here's the results.

  • I submitted 20 doctrinal questions and a sermon for review.
  • I passed 17 of those questions and my sermon passed.
  • The Board APPROVED me for Ordination BUT places that approval CONTINGENT ON me re-answering those errant three questions and those to be reviewed in the Spring.
  • So, if I pass those three questions in the Spring, I'm approved for Ordination in the United Methodist Church.

Woohoo?  Yea?  Sorry?  Yeah, I'm honestly so fresh out of it that I can't really decide what my response is.  But given it's a few days past thanksgiving, here's what I'm thankful for:

  • I'm thankful for passing 17 outta 20.  85% isn't a bad score in any profession...even Surgeons pass with an 85%!  But not Methodist pastors!  Ha!
  • I'm thankful for the grace given to me by the Board that they have me rewrite 3 questions rather than submitting them all again.  That was in their realm of possibilities so I'm thankful.
  • I'm thankful for good clergy friends who waited for 2 hours for me to emerge.  Love you folks!
So, in short: I've got another hoop ahead of me and have a few months to discern and wrestle with and study those questions.  I'll be talking about them on this blog, so stay tuned.  Thanks for walking this journey with me.

~UMJeremy

3 comments:

Stuart December 2, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

Congratulations and huge well done from me!

I'd personally be delighted with 85%!

John Meunier December 2, 2009 at 6:23 AM  

Look back and see how far you've come. The road ahead is much shorter than that.

Jared December 2, 2009 at 11:56 AM  

Ok, so for those of us still going through the process, which 3 questions didn't they like and why?

Post Your Comment (click here for a pop-up comment form)

Questions? Read the "Four Responsibilities of Commenting"
Jazz hands! ~Jeremy

Comment via FriendConnect

Favorite Sites

Latest from the Methoblog

Search the Methodist World

Want to see more United Methodist responses to a topic? Enter the topic into this search engine and search ONLY methodist blogs and sites!

UMJeremy's shared items

Disclaimer: all original content reflects the personal opinions of Rev. Jeremy Smith, not the doctrinal positions or statements of the United Methodist Church local and global.
all linked or quoted content represent the source's opinions, not Jeremy or the United Methodist Church.

  Blogger Template © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP