Did we just drive our future President from Church?

According to CNN: Obama Resigns from Trinity UCC

On the political blogs I read: this is a good thing, it was time to cut his losses.

On the religious blogs I read: this is a bad thing, do we really want a President without a church home?

On my face when I read: Dude! Did we just drive our future President from CHURCH?

Sigh. I think the president of the UCC church has it right:

It’s also important to name the painful reality that many candidates and public officials now find it nearly impossible to be an active member of a particular religious community, given our divisive political culture. Faith is rooted in community. Persons in public office should have the same opportunity, as the rest of us, to experience the worship, prayers and close personal friendships that congregational participation affords.
My prayers are with the Obamas as they seek out spiritual consistency in a politics that abhors a vacuum of scandal and controversy.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  May 31, 2008 at 11:24 PM  

The -ipple of Barack's Soul Exposed

Elaine on Seinfeld said it best, could have been about Barack Obama....

ELAINE: I did not bare myself deliberately, but I tell you, I wish now that I had! Because it is not me that has been exposed, but you! For I have seen the nipple on your soul!

Obama has shown us a glimpse of his soul as he dumps his church...it ain't very pretty.

John Wesley Leek June 1, 2008 at 1:47 AM  

That's nice mr. anon.

It is very unfortunate that he had to leave, but I think it was clear he needed to. I hope he can find a good church family in DC and I think any church that could have them as a members would be better for it.

Anonymous,  June 1, 2008 at 8:03 AM  

i had feeling this would end up happening eventually. i have the same sort of feelings you do. it's a shame.

here's another one that is spot on, i think.

Post Your Comment (click here for a pop-up comment form)

Questions? Read the "Four Responsibilities of Commenting"
Jazz hands! ~Jeremy

Comment via FriendConnect

Favorite Sites

Latest from the Methoblog

Search the Methodist World

Want to see more United Methodist responses to a topic? Enter the topic into this search engine and search ONLY methodist blogs and sites!

UMJeremy's shared items

Disclaimer: all original content reflects the personal opinions of Rev. Jeremy Smith, not the doctrinal positions or statements of the United Methodist Church local and global.
all linked or quoted content represent the source's opinions, not Jeremy or the United Methodist Church.

  Blogger Template © Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP